Tuesday 25 September 2012

I'm still here

It's a rainy evening in late September and unlike many people, I haven't been flooded out. Here I am, sitting in front of my wood burning stove with a decent glass of wine and a snoring cat in the chair next door, able to appreciate that life really has been good to me so far.
Over the years I've used the Internet, I have had a few blogs on various sites, and this evening I have been looking them up and thinking that I should take up the habit again, particularly as I am about to embark on a big writing project and I need somewhere to procrastinate when it gets bogged down. Actually, it's slightly bogged down right now, as I'm still not quite sure where to start.
The working title is 'Last Reels' and it's about the effect on the lives of three different characters as cinemas transition from film to digital and jobs are lost, along with some of the magic. I've been thinking about the characters, the background and the scenes for quite a long time now, and have drawn up an outline and written some background information. I know they are all going to meet at a funeral, but am not sure if that's where to begin. In the old days, I would have just taken up the old A4 pad and a pen and started writing. If it went wrong, I just began again and effortlessly churned out another forty pages. These days, I find myself dithering and dallying, cutting and pasting, then looking up what everyone's doing on Facebook. The Internet is the greatest time waster ever. After all, I have just written a couple of hundred words here that could have been the start of my story.
Right. Let's begin. I will keep notes on my progress here. Just the thought someone might read this is one way of spurring me on.

No comments: