Friday 8 January 2010

It's cold!

Last night as I drove home from work, the temperature about a mile outside the village dropped as low as -9 Celsius. In the village it was a balmy -6. I realised this morning that we had reached a whole new level of chilliness when I glanced out of the window and saw that the people who live in the bungalow on the other side of the lane had shut their windows! They are hardy souls and their windows are usually open night and day, all year round.
Dug out some coal from the shed, and when it starts to get dark I will light the fire. During the day time the sun helps to heat the front rooms - the temperature in here is currently 20 degrees, but in the kitchen, which is north facing, it's struggled to get up to 16. I am nice and warm after an invigorating walk around the village, and the cat has just come in after a brief venture outdoors too. I keep wondering how he is managing to dig holes to do his business as the ground has been frozen solid for days.

No comments: